The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) is pleased to announce approximately $4M in funding through Project Call (PC) 7.1 and an additional $500k in funding for prospective regional leads for the 2024 NIIMBL eXperience Program. The PC7.1 Request for Proposals (RFP) and the 2024 NIIMBL eXperience Requests for Applications (RFA) are now open.
NIIMBL is currently accepting proposals through August 3, 2023, in response to PC 7.1 for key topic areas in technical and workforce development. The technical topic areas are:
- Cell processing (primarily for application in cell therapies)
- Technologies for intensified processing of therapeutic proteins
- In-line, at-line, and online measurements for CQAs and / or process variables
- Analytical and manufacturing technologies for viral vector manufacturing
- Improving reliability and quality assurance of manufacturing processes, including Big Data applications
The workforce development topic areas are:
- Increase interest in biopharma manufacturing careers
- Internship and immersion experiences for non-traditional degrees
- Innovative talent pipeline partnerships
- Education & training for new technologies and/or use of new modalities
- Cross regional collaboration
Additionally, NIIMBL is awarding $500k or up to $100k per applicant for the 2024 NIIMBL eXperience Program Regional Lead Organizations. This RFA will expand the NIIMBL eXperience program to different areas of the country. Applicants will serve as a regional lead organization that will plan program logistics, recruit students, and run a NIIMBL eXperience Program in their respective region. Applicants will propose a program that provides exposure to the biopharmaceutical manufacturing industry through hands-on training, tours, and engagement with "hosts" from professional associations, industry, and academic partners. The deadline for the NIIMBL eXperience RFA is July 27, 2023.
"It is exciting to offer multiple funding opportunities to our members that span a range of interests and expertise," says Chris Roberts, Associate Institute Director, NIIMBL. "As an institute, our goal is to accelerate innovation in the biopharmaceutical manufacturing space and that includes advancing both our technology and building a workforce that is skilled to truly move the needle."